Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Fairy kei on a budget: What to look for in thrift store purchases!~



Thrift stores: The number one place to find fairy kei for less!

I love the thrift store!~ It's my favorite place to shop, because you never know what you are going to find... Plus, it's a lot cheaper than regular stores because it's second hand.. Well, one man's trash is another man's treasure, right? I usually check the thrift store anywhere between 2-5 times a month xD
I make sure to check every section, because i don't want to miss anything~

What to look for in clothing:

When looking for clothing, make sure you stay in the pastel color range!~ Also, if you wear a size small or medium, don't be afraid to buy something in a large~ Oversized is cute!~
See? ^-^ Now obviously this isn't from a thrift store, but the oversized style is really adorable, I love the print on this shirt too, Haha~~
Also, if you see something that is cute, but plain, you can decorate it. Bonus if you know how to sew!
I bought this cute shirt for around 3 dollars, but it's a little basic for me.. Nothing a thread and needle can't fix! The picture isn't really true to the color, i'm not sure why, but my camera added a yellow tint~~ I'm planning on doing a remake tee shirt like Nile Perch or Spank! has.
Sweaters are another thing that i love buying from the thrift store. Mostly because they're nice and comfy, and already worn in :D Sweaters that are oversized look really cute too, here's an example:

These ones from milklim look like they would be oversized, but i couldn't find a picture of somebody wearing one~
For pants, Look for light wash denim, something that you can possibly dye to match your taste. You can buy darker ones, but if you do want to dye them, you'll have to bleach them a lot first which might damage them. High waisted denim shorts are my favorite, they are really cute and suit Spank! style really nicely~~ If you find jeans, you can leave them or cut them into shorts too.
Skirts at thrift stores are usually harder for me to find. Usually, the only cute ones i find are in the children's section, and they usually fit me if the waistband is elastic. i bought a really cute one with easter eggs on it~


Really cute right? I love this skirt a lot, it's one of my favorite thrift store purchases~~
Now you can always look for denim skirts from the thrift store too, and you can add some cute DIY elements like this:
They really give off the whole spank! vibe. (I don't know if these actually came from spank!)
Shoes is kind of a hard one at the thrift store, and some people are a little uncomfortable with used shoes.. I just make sure to wash them up well xD I've had a few really nice pair of shoes from thrift stores, and also, you can usually find pastel kitten heels right from the 80s :D
Also, i'm also usually finding brand new canvas sneakers and jelly shoes at my local thrift store, which you can always add things and improvise!~

Hand painted sneakers are adorable, and you can decorate your jelly shoes with bows, ribbon, lace, and jewels~~

Now, you aren't just limited to the clothing and shoes at a thrift store: If you are crafty, you can find fabric to make into something one of a kind, to suit your taste. Also, you can find a lot of things to make your room super cute ~
I bought these unicorn curtains yesterday for only four dollars~ I'm planning on making something, but not entirely sure what!~ I love buying toys at the thrift store because you can find a lot of really cute ones like care bears, trolls, ponies, and furbies~~
I collect care bears, and i mostly only buy them from thrift stores
I have my toys spread through-out my room, but mainly in this area (sorry for the bad lighting >w<)
If you do buy toys at thrift stores, just make sure you wash them. . .? Hahaha~~

There's a little more i could get into, but i'm saving that for another post~ This one is getting a little long~~
Thank you for reading, see you next post, I'm off to school! ;)

Anna~~

1 comment:

  1. That's really good advice. But can you do an article on how to survive middle school in fairy kei? c:

    ReplyDelete